Aging and Women: All women can age gracefully if they follow a few steps.
Family Site Since
|Women and Issues of a Woman|
Steps for Women to Age Gracefully
By JB Johnson and Joy Stevens
Women and aging: There are definite gains as we age. What are the aging gains?
More information about women and issues of a woman:
By the time you are 45 years old, you should be getting a glimmer of what age has in store for you. Certainly it should be dawning on you that you will not have enough time to do everything in life. Therefore, you must do what is important. And aging gracefully needs to go to the top of your list!
Steps for graceful aging:
1. Develop and maintain a strong social support network of family, friends, and colleagues.
2. Develop a personal exercise program combining aerobics and weight work. Hire a personal trainer to get you started.
3. Take charge of your brain. Make an active commitment to learning and growth. According to research on lifespan development: IF you continue to use your brain and develop your intellect and IF you remain socially connected and active, you can actually increase your IQ scores as you age.
4. Take charge of your financial future. Plan, plan, and plan. If you are single, don't count on getting married to finance your old age. You are on your own! If you are married, learn what is going on with your finances. If you are female, statistics say you will spend seven to fifteen years or more as a widow, depending upon the age difference between you and your husband. You will probably be on your own for a long time. Plan, plan, plan.
5. Eat a low-fat, high-fiber diet. Learn to live on fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes as much as possible. Plan a few days a week that include no animal products, not even dairy.
6. Stay aware of the latest nutritional information.
7. Don't fall for fad diets. When something sounds too good to be true such as The Atkins' Diet, it usually is. When something sounds too good to be true and it is too complicated for you to comprehend easily, such as Sears' Zone Diet, be doubly wary.
8. Remember that the pharmaceutical industry makes money from selling drugs. Read, study, and form your own opinions about taking cholesterol, blood pressure, estrogen and other "old-age" medicines. Very few long-term studies are available to show the results of these medicines. The industry does extensive advertising to the medical profession pushing these drugs. The industry also does excellent advertising and good PR work with the public in support of these drugs. Your doctor is not a genius. He/she can not possibly keep up with everything and most rely on the pharmaceutical industry for much of their information. It is your responsibility to read, study, and keep up with the truth for yourself.
9. Practice light to no drinking.
10. No smoking, no matter what.
11. Remain goal oriented. Regardless of your age, still set one, five, ten and twenty-year goals. Keep on growing!
12. Don't become more conservative than ever. Age is an attitude. Conservative is an old, stuffy attitude that allows life to pass you by and makes you sound old and boring.
Back to Gains as Women Age.
Additional information about women or issues of a woman.
to Women's Web Index
|For Women Only Directory||Letters from Women||Marriage and Women: Directory of Series:|
|Magic Pill||Work vs. Home Work||Why Are Women Leaving Marriage in Droves?|
|Loneliness||Women Need to Work||What's In Marriage for Women?|
|Happy Face||Women and Abuse||Why Is Marriage Unhappy for So Many Women?|
|I Should But I Can't||Questions for Brides||Early History of Marriage|
|Scents and Fragrances||Silent Contracts||19th Century Marriage|
of Series: Men & Sex
|The 1950s Hangover!|
|Men and Women Talk||Men and Sex in Today's Society.||Crossroads for Marriage|
|Book Reviews||Men Use Sex to Connect.||Prince Who?|
|Martyrs and Mothers||Men Relate Through Sex.||Happy Wives Make Happy Husbands!|
|Are You Depressed?||Men & Sexual Rejections by Women||Random Thoughts on Marriage|
|Setting Limits in Relationships.||Male Sexual Attitudes, Fantasies, Masturbation.|
|Your Attitudes and Behaviors||Lust and Getting Lucky|
|Test Those Nagging Doubts About Your Relationship|
Green Building and Remodeling
Copyright © 1997-2010 CyberParent. All rights reserved.
Note: The opinions expressed herein are exclusively those of the writers or other participants and do not necessarily reflect the position of CyberParent. They are not intended to take the place of advice of a health, legal, or other professional whose expertise you might need to seek.